Thursday, October 30, 2008

T.I. VOTES DESPITE CONVICTED FELON STATUS: Rapper hit up Atlanta polling center after re-examining Georgia law.

T.I. thought his voting privileges were revoked because he's a convicted felon, but under Georgia Law, felons are still eligible if they're not currently serving probation or a prison sentence.

"Until he is sentenced in the federal case, he doesn't have a conviction yet," said lawyer, Steve Sadow of his 28-year-old client, whose real name is Clifford Harris. "Even though he is a convicted felon, he has a right to vote since he is not serving probation and hasn't started his prison sentence."

Because his jail term doesn't begin until late March, the rapper immediately got himself to an early polling station in Atlanta yesterday to cast his ballot for the next President of the United States.

"It's a relief," the rap star told the Associated Press Wednesday before voting for the first time in his life. "This what it is all about, not staying up late and waking up early to vote. Now rather than just talking about it, I'm being about it. I'm leading by example, and it makes me feel a lot better."

After standing in line for less than 10 minutes, T.I. emerged with an "I'm a Georgia Voter" sticker planted on his black vest. He signed autographs and took photos with several fans who were stunned to see the Grammy-winning artist at the polls.

A spokesman for the Georgia Secretary of State's office confirmed that T.I. was eligible to vote.

No comments: